At Olive & Olives we select our olive oils according to strict criteria:
Photo: Drew Hadley
- We deal directly with artisanal producers and cooperatives that qualify for the appellation: “Appellation d’origine contrôlée,” which signifies they meet the highest local standards. The relationships we’ve developed with these producers ensure us access to an exclusive range of superior quality products that meet our exacting standards.
- All our oils are extra virgin, and were produced and bottled by the producer. This level of traceability ensures that we avoid the inferior grades of oil typically left for large commercial brands that are bottled in bulk.
- All of our extra virgin oils were produced according to strict cold extraction methods.
- Every one of our bottles features a “best before” date as directed by the International Olive Council (IOC).
- All producers must supply us with a valid copy of their IOC “extra virgin” certification for all of their products.
- By dealing directly with producers, we avoid the adulterated and mixed oils that make up an astounding 30% of all the olive oil sold in Canada.
- At Olive & Olives, we personally taste test all our oils before offering them to our clientele.
- To ensure that we always offer fresh, high quality products, we maintain strict control over the quantities that we purchase, only purchasing the quantities we need as required. We don’t stock our oils on shelves for a day longer than necessary. That’s why, from time to time, your favourite oil might be temporarily out of stock. But take heart, we make regular orders from producers who stock their oils in the original mills.